How you prepare and cook your meals can have a big impact on the total calorie content. Preparing delicious meals with minimal calories is as easy as choosing the right nutrient dense ingredients and cooking with the best low fat methods.
5 Top low calorie cooking methods
1. Steaming – is a time-tested low calorie cooking method because it requires no fats or oils, and because foods don’t touch the liquid steaming foods means they retain their flavour, colour, shape and nutrition.
2. Stir-frying – requires a large cooking surface at a very high heat – a wok is ideal – and cooking food very quickly. Simply heat a small amount of oil and toss and turn evenly sized pieces to ensure each ingredient is cooked evenly.
3. Broiling – is a cooking method in which food is cooked directly under high heat. Broiling is a dry-heat cooking method so it is low calorie requiring no fats or oils. Simply move the food closer to or further from the heat depending on how you like your food cooked.
4. Microwaving – Don’t keep your microwave just for re-heating and defrosting. You can prepare meals with your microwave quickly, conveniently and with low calories. Use it to steam vegetables in just minutes, or grab a microwave cook book for great microwaving ideas.
5. Pressure cooking – Pressure cookers are completely sealed so that with very little water foods are cooked in steam. Cook vegetables and meats in just a few minutes so they retain their flavour, colour, shape and nutrition. Pressure cooking is fat and oil free so very low calorie.